3/30/2006

Article on Rattler Manager Change

The Post-Crescent has a story this morning on Jim Horner replacing Scott Steinmann as manager of the Timber Rattlers. The full story, by Timber Rattler beat writer Brett Christopherson, can be found here.

A few items from the article.

Steinmann, 32, said he first approached the Mariners last week regarding his
situation and finally made the request to step down from his Rattlers’ post
Tuesday morning.

“Personal issues are a different priority with myself and the organization,” Steinmann said. “So they allowed me the opportunity to stay down in Arizona as a coach. If they hadn’t given me that opportunity, I would have had to resign from the Mariners. I’m glad I work for an organization that will do that for me.

“This is something I have to take care of. Hopefully, I can take care of things this year and be on my way.”



Again I wish Steiny good luck and hope that everything turns out well.

According to Mariners director of player development Frank Mattox, Steinmann
remains a vital part of the Seattle organization.“He requested to stay closer to
home, and we met those requests,” Mattox said.

“We believe in family first, and that’s what took place. It’s all good. He’s in as good a standing as he has ever been.”


The way this situation is being handled by the Mariners shouldn't surprise anyone who has worked with them. Family first is not just a slogan. They mean it.

Horner is ready to step in on the short notice:

“It will be interesting,” Horner said. “It’s my first rodeo, and I told the kids that, too. I’ll have a lot of questions, but I’ll get the support from the Mariners, and I have a lot of people I can call, too.”


One thing that will help Horner -- he mentions it early in the article -- is that he is familiar with a lot of the players who will play for him at Fox Cities Stadium this season. He was the hitting coach for a pretty good Everett team last year.

No comments:

Site Meter