11/24/2008

The topic that just won't go away

Must we do this again? Yes, I fear we must.
I have been working on my new topic. I am actually enjoying this topic. After several considerations and rejections of ideas, I decided on a sports related topic. I am conducting a plausibility analysis into whether the Fort Wayne Tin Caps (formerly the Fort Wayne Wizards) could make a move up a division in the minor league baseball system. Currently, the Tin Caps are a "low" Single A division team. I thought it might be interesting to investigate the potential possibility of the team moving to the Double a level.
...
In my research, I am comparing Fort Wayne and it's baseball team to Akron, Ohio and it's baseball team. I chose Akron because it is roughly the same size as Fort Wayne, population wise, and it's baseball team , the Aeros, already plays at the Double A level. I also chose Akron because it is located in the midwest, like Fort Wayne. I was hopeful that the similar geography between the two cities would make their demographics comparable as well. I wanted an apples to apples comparison. I have been very pleased thus far with what I have discovered regarding each. The two cities have some expected similarities, but some striking differences.
In the comments to that post, one of the bloggers from downtownbaseballfortwayne.com pours a bit of cold water on this theory with a link to a post he wrote in January...of 2007.

I don't get that in depth, but this post from July, 2008 has some of the difficulties in bumping up a level or two.

To the curious Brewer fan, use that post as a primer for why the Timber Rattlers won't be going up to Triple-A anytime...ever.

No comments:

Site Meter