5/12/2009

On defense

From the main Brewer site...Lawrie's move to second working out
"I didn't think he could do it," said Nichols, who has overseen Milwaukee's Minor League affiliates since November 2002. "And I certainly didn't think he could do it this quickly.

"But he has good range, good hands. I have been pleasantly surprised."

Considering Nichols' usually low-key assessment of even the hottest of prospects, that qualifies as a ringing endorsement of Lawrie, who began his Brewers career last month about 100 miles up the road from Miller Park at the Brewers' new Class A affiliate.
There is a mention of the laughable comment by an unnamed scout. Then, there is this:
"They always say, 'You can't do this or that,'" Lawrie said. "But that doesn't bother me. I know what I can do and what I can't do. It just makes me strive harder to get it done."
Check out the whole article and a hat tip to the fine folks of Brewersfan.net for finding the article. Not that I wouldn't have found it, it just that I saw it there before I checked out the Brewers site today.

No comments:

Site Meter