1/17/2008

Kind of missed this one yesterday

The Red Smith Banquet was Tuesday. The new manager of the Rattlers was there. Also, the question was asked of Greg Hunter.

It's all in the notebook.

Terry Pollreisz was told he was needed inside the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers dugout this season.

The 61-year-old thinks he knows why.

"I love teaching baseball," he said with a smile. "I expect the players to learn how to play the game well. And when they said we want your presence there, I think that's what they meant. That's what they're getting."

...

"It was just a good fit," said Mariners director of player development Greg Hunter, also on hand for the banquet. "We've had some inexperienced (managers) here in the past, and I think the stability of having him here is going to be a good thing. He's a very good baseball person."

Pollreisz has worked at nearly all levels of the Mariners organization, serving as the hitting coach at Triple-A Tacoma, Wash., the past four seasons.

His experience should be a bonus for the Rattlers, especially if they are handed a youthful roster filled with players entering their first full season of professional baseball.

Among those Hunter said could find himself beginning the season in Wisconsin is pitcher Phillippe Aumont, the Mariners' 2007 first-round draft pick.

"I love the game," Pollreisz said. "I expect the game to be played well and the right way. I'm into making them better, not worse. I pride myself on developing the players."


On to the question:

Hunter said the Mariners are interested in inking a new player development pact with the Rattlers. The current deal expires following the upcoming season.

"It's a good situation for the full season (Class) A level," said Hunter, who's in his first year in his current role. "It's excellent for our development. The city, the community, the ballpark, the people. They're fabulous. I think it's first-class, first-rate."

Whether or not the Rattlers want to remain with the Mariners is another question. Wisconsin has served as Seattle's low Class A Midwest League affiliate since 1993 but has struggled under the Mariners' watch in recent seasons, finishing 57-82 in 2004, 54-86 in 2006 and 53-85 last season.

Hunter said discussions with the Rattlers have been broached but a new deal isn't imminent.

"I think they want to see me being the director of player development now, what things are going to be like," Hunter said. "And I don't blame them for that at all. I'm looking forward to doing what they'd like to see done. And we have some things we'd like to see done. We value the relationship here."

No comments:

Site Meter