10/08/2006

It was 50 Years Ago Today

If I was smart, I would say that this deserves its own post.

But, I'll be honest and say that I didn't read that far down at BaseballLibrary.com this morning. The only thing that reminded me was checking ESPN Classic during commercial breaks of the Packer loss today.

"Why are they running a Don Larsen SportsCentury on ESPN Cla....Oh, that's right!" I said to myself.


1956
» Series history is made by Don Larsen of the Yankees, who pitches a perfect game to defeat the Dodgers 2-0 in Game 5. He requires only 97 pitches. Sal Maglie matches him until Mickey Mantle homers in the 4th.

The link to the historic boxscore is up in my rambling thought. The two pictures that I remember seeing the most in reading about this game are:


From sportsencyclopedia.com

At first glance, that looks like just another picture of a pitcher in action. Not until you look at the scoreboard do you realize that something special is happening and it isn't just another pitch.


From time.com

Yogi knew that the perfect game was over when it was over.

No comments:

Site Meter