1/10/2008

84 Days to Opening Day

Opening Day 2008 for the Timber Rattlers is April 3. That is 84 days from today. This off-season, the countdown will be based on books. Each day between now and Opening Day 2008, I will pick a random book out of my library and excerpt a passage off the page number corresponding with the number of days remaining to the first pitch of the new season. I will try not to repeat a book during the countdown.

It was pointed out recently that J.R.R. Tolkien’s birthday was last week -- January 3. To make up for missing that anniversary, the rest of the week is Tolkein Week on the countdown to opening day.

Today’s passage is from The Return of the King as Gandalf gets news of Frodo and Sam from Faramir. Lord Denethor of Gondor is not happy with his son or with Gandalf (aka Mithrandir).

‘I parted with them in the morning two days ago,’ said Faramir. ‘It is fifteen leagues thence to the vale of the Morgulduin, if they went straight south; and then they would be still five leagues westward of the accursed Tower. At swiftest they could not come there before today, and maybe they have not come there yet. Indeed I see what y0u fear. But the darkness is not due to their venture. It began yestereve, and all Ithilien was under shadow last night. It is clear to me that the Enemy has long planned an assault on us, and its hour had already been determined before ever the travelers left my keeping.’

Gandalf paced the floor. ‘The morning of two days ago, nigh on three days of journey! How far is the place where you parted?’

‘Some twenty-five leagues as the bird flies,’ answered Faramir. ‘But I could not come more swiftly. Yestereve I lay at Cair Andros, the long isle in the River northward which we hold in defence; and horses are kept on hither bank. As the dark drew on I knew that haste was needed, so I rode thence with three others that could also be horsed. The rest of my company I sent south to strengthen the garrison at the fords of Osgiliath. I hope that I have not done ill?’ He looked at his father.

Ill?’ cried Denethor, and his eyes flashed suddenly. ‘Why do you ask? The men were under your command. Or do you ask for my judgement on all your deeds? Your bearing is lowly in my presence, yet it is long now since you turned from your own way at my counsel. See, you have spoken skillfully, as ever; but I, have I not seen your eye fixed on Mithrandir, seeking whether you said well or too much? He has long had your heart in his keeping.

Put today’s excerpt in a baseball context.

No comments:

Site Meter