1/03/2008

Baker's Blog

Geoff Baker, the Mariner beat writer for the Seattle Times, had an interesting post up just after Christmas.

How "expert" are ball writers

Been checking in on what you've all been up to and I see this whole "do-or-don't" debate on trading for Erik Bedard is really picking up steam. Lots of great points on both sides. As I wrote several weeks ago, there is no clear-cut answer to this question. Had to chuckle a little more recently when I saw the debate turn to the merits of my "expert" opinions on baseball. I start to get nervous whenever the word "expert" is employed in connection with baseball knowledge and I'll tell you why.

This game frustrates the heck out of people. I mean, it should be easy. You pitch the ball, you hit the ball, you catch the ball. Team that scores more runs wins the game, right? There you have it, now we can all go home. Sounds simple, right?

Oh, my.

Let me tell you, the moment you actually believe that to be true, this game has you beat. Absolutely walloped. In my "expert" opinion, the best way to be an "expert" at opining on this game is to accept that you are not an expert. Now, what does that mean, exactly?

'Oh, my!' Nice use of the Dick Enberg impression.

Baker goes into this for a bit. Then, he gets into a few examples and includes Appleton Baseball Hall of Famer Kenny Williams.

Here's a tip. Nobody is an expert on it. No, thats not a cop-out. Just go online, to any site in which baseball debates rage, and see for yourself. Some people think Oakland A's GM Billy Beane is a genius. Others point out that White Sox GM Kenny Williams, reviled throughout the book "Moneyball" has won one more World Series than Beane. Still more will argue that Williams isn't all that bright even if he did win a title.


All I can say is, if a GM who built a World Series team isn't viewed as all that bright by some people, what chance does a poor old ex-Little Leaguer like me (from Canada, no less) have? And that's pretty much the way you have to go about looking at this whole baseball thing. I meet people on a daily basis who have spent 30 years or more working at this game on a professional level. A professional level! And I'm supposed to be more of an "expert" than they are?


You may be wondering if Mehring considers Mehring an expert. Do you really need to wonder that?

Interesting post. Head over to read the whole thing.

No comments:

Site Meter