3/05/2010

Flashback Friday: 1959 Program

Deadlines and cleaning and just overall getting ready for the 2010 season have taken over this week. But, I did not want to let Flashback Friday go by without something this week.

So here is a little project that I have been saving for just such an occasion. I have scanned in the entire 1959 Fox Cities Foxes program. Over the next few weeks, I'll share a few pages at a time.

This week the cover and the first three pages.

As always, click on the image to see a larger image.

Again, Three I League stands for Indiana-Illinois-Iowa. There are no teams in Indiana, no teams in Illinois, two teams in Wisconsin, a team in Nebraska, a team in Kansas, and four teams in Iowa.

One of my goals is to find the addresses for some of the taverns that advertised in 1959 and see if they are still around.

For example, Schreiter's Tavern at 211 So. Walnut. Put that address into Google Maps and when the street view comes up hit the button that moves the view to the left to see what it is now.

Also, I want to point out how awesome it is that -- in the hometown of Tailgunner Joe and just two years after his death -- there was a business called People's Laundry. From each according to his starch preference to each according to their stains. They probably ran a special on May Day.

It looks like a much happier place now. If you live in Appleton, you have driven by the place and seen a gorilla.

The Lawrence H. Rennert of Oshkosh, Wisconsin on the umpire list? Yes. That is future National League Umpire "Dutch" Rennert.
I was just in the Zuelke Building to drop something off the other day. They still have a barber shop, but it is on the ground floor. It's called the Plaza Barber Shop. I almost stopped in to get a haircut.


As time allows, I will put the rest of the pages up before Opening Day!

No comments:

Site Meter