2/25/2007

Every time I think I'm out...

They pull me back in.

Why the quote from Godfather III?

Early last week, there was an e-mail in my inbox. It was from KROX in Crookston, Minnesota. Somehow, they heard that I was a hockey announcer in a former life. Minnesota-Crookston was going to be playing Lawrence University on Friday and Saturday in a playoff series. Since they couldn't send anyone down to Appleton, would I help out a brother in sound?

Yep.

I forgot how chilly broadcast positions are in most hockey arenas. Also, the perch was down in a corner.

I don't think that I was that terrible. Except for not being up on the rule about overtime in a playoff series on Saturday. When I was at UW-Superior, there was no overtime in the two regular playoff games. If regulation ended in a tie, that's how the game ended. Of course, last night, Lawrence tied the game with just under two minutes to go in regulation.

Since Lawrence won 5-3 on Friday night, Saturday's tie let them move on in the MCHA playoffs. If UM-Crookston had won Saturday's game, there would have been a fifteen minute minigame.

At the Division III level in NCAA hockey, they don't play a best-of-three series. At this level, the first team to three points in a series wins the series. The minigame is the decision maker if both teams win a game or if both teams tie the first two games.

It was fun to get back to the rink, but can baseball season get here? Soon?

No comments:

Site Meter