2/18/2007

Sledgehammer!

I think of two things when I hear the word sledgehammer. The first is an underrated television comedy with the catchphrase, "Trust me. I know what I'm doing." The second is a Peter Gabriel song/video.

Now, add an ex-Rattler to the list because of this headline at the Padres home page:

Sledgehammer ready to make an impact
Outfielder motivated to lead Padres with breakout season

Terrmel Sledge showed up beaming at the San Diego Padres' training facility on Saturday morning.

Relieved of physical doubts and burdens, he's carrying big plans on his chiseled 195-pound frame, having dropped 15 pounds after a winter spent perspiring in drills, eating the right foods and turning girlfriend Emilia into Mrs. Sledge in a Dec. 20 marriage ceremony.

The heir apparent to his close friend and mentor, Dave Roberts, Sledge intends to nail down the left field job with his bat, legs, glove and attitude. And, if he's asked to succeed Doc as leadoff man as well, he'll seize that opportunity with relish.

"My destiny is in the palm of my hand and no one else's," Sledge said.


With an off-season like that, it should be.

No comments:

Site Meter