2/22/2007

I got a truck....

Not me. David Ortiz. He got it from the Red Sox.

Ortiz sets out for more of same in '07
Sox slugger hopes continued production sparks playoff berth

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Most players get a handshake from the team owner at the beginning of Spring Training. David Ortiz? He got a new truck.

Amid all the fuss and excitement over the arrival of Japanese star Daisuke Matsuzaka, it should not be forgotten that Red Sox Nation remains Big Papi's place.

The superstar slugger arrived in Fort Myers for his physical on Wednesday morning and quickly learned of his new present from principal owner John W. Henry.

"The owners, they gave it to me," said Ortiz of his black Toyota Tundra. "I was like, 'Cool.' It's my first truck ever, a pickup truck. That's what I got for my new year. [I] saw it this morning, but I don't know what kind it is. I'll be rolling in it."


So any plans for the season, Papi?
"Just try to stay healthy and keep on rolling," said Ortiz. "That's me. I don't ask for too much. I'm asking the man up there, the Lord, to keep me healthy -- me and my teammates and family. [I want to] just have fun. This is a game. You can't put pressure on yourself."

Words to live by.

No comments:

Site Meter