3/07/2007

Huh?

I've read this column by Steve Kelley a couple of times now.

Open season in Blog-ville if M's lose

I can almost hear the dissent building irrationally. Nerves beginning to fray. Cactus League questions lining up like hitters by the batting cage.

Bloggers blogging until their finger tips are as worn as base-stealer's pants. Anxiety increasing before Felix Hernandez has thrown the season's first pitch.

The sublime quickly morphing into the absurd. Before Tuesday's 10-3 win over Texas, the Mariners were 0-5 and a guy actually came up to me at breakfast Tuesday, shaking his head and telling me, in all seriousness, he thought Mariners manager Mike Hargrove was doing a lousy job this spring.

That comment got me imagining the kind of blogosphere nonsense that could build rapidly if the Mariners keep losing before the real games begin.


Because the guy was a blogger? Because he told you to check out his blog for more of his nonsense? Because he had an opinion?

If you have spent any time on Mariner blogs, you would know that the writers have not been the biggest fans of Mike Hargrove. They didn't start disliking him because of some losses at the beginning of this spring training.

I was trying to decide if this is supposed to be a funny column or a critique of bloggers. Then, I read, re-read, and re-re-read the first part of this paragraph:
On the first spring-like day of the year, with the sound of the Cactus League game on the radio riding the soft March zephyrs, we get reminded that baseball season is almost here. But I suspect the early March losses already are making some fans apprehensive about the new year.

This column is hilarious! I got a good chuckle out of the questions lining up like hitters by the batting cage, but soft March zephyrs has me rolling.

No comments:

Site Meter