3/17/2007

There is a disturbance in the force

Mariner Minors has moved...
About a week and a half ago, I was approached by some of the people who run Most Valuable Network, asking me if I wanted to take on their Mariners minor league coverage as they expanded into that field. They offered me better hosting, site format, and internet visibility, among other things, so I decided to come aboard. In the past few years, MVN has been steadily growing, acquiring All-Baseball (former host of Mariner Musings) and 360thepitch (podcasts), and while their minor league coverage is currently in the experimental phase, there’s some potential in it all. Plus, they already have one guy in High Desert ready to do some groundwork and another who catches the D-Jaxx on road trips, which is pretty neat.

Only the URL will change
Regular readers know how I operate by now, but for those of you coming in as newbies, I try to present more than just the standard game recaps. For one, there’s a bit of depth to them that not every minors blog provides. I don’t stop with just the four full-season teams, but in fact go as deep as I can, regularly delving into Venezuelan Summer League and Dominican Summer League action as the information becomes available to me. And as for those major teams, not a day seems to go by when I don’t listen to at least part of a radio feed or read through all the associated articles in the local papers, so I strive to provide more than the standard processing of box scores into text. True, game recaps comprise the meat of the writing, but I also try to crosslink stories relating to players, new signings, assorted items of interest about the baseball world, and regular updates on the performances of the last year’s draft-and-follow candidates (final year for it) and winter league updates once those seasons start. It can end up becoming quite a bit of work, but it’s my philosophy that fans should have access to as many of those perspectives as they can get their hands on. If I’m hearing about something, and am not sworn to secrecy under threat of ritual sacrifice by “old baseball men”, it’s going to be posted and discussed right here.

Oh, the new website is: http://mvn.com/milb-mariners/ Update your links accordingly. I'll update the link on the side...If I can remember how to do it.

One more thing at Mariner Minors: It was cutdown day yesterday for the M's. J (or Jay as he is now known) has a recap of the cuts and their spring training performances.

The official Mariner site has the release right HERE. Those reassigned were:

Optioned to AAA Tacoma (5):Infielders (3): Michael Garciaparra, Bryan LaHair, Oswaldo Navarro Outfielders (2): Wladimir Balentien, Michael Wilson

Re-Assigned to Minor League camp (2):Catchers (2): Jeff Clement, Rob Johnson


All of them are ex-Rattlers.

No comments:

Site Meter