3/31/2008

3 Days to Opening Day


Opening Day 2008 for the Timber Rattlers is April 3. That is 3 days from today. This off-season, the countdown will be based on books. Each day between now and Opening Day 2008, I will pick a random book out of my library and excerpt a passage off the page number corresponding with the number of days remaining to the first pitch of the new season. I will try not to repeat a book during the countdown.

Today’s book is Grand Old Game: 365 Days of Baseball by Joseph Wallace. There are some great baseball pictures in this book…Well, nothing for February 29, but it isn’t called 366 Days of Baseball. No picture in the excerpt, that would have been lazy….HA!....Instead, here is the part of the Preface by the author.

My collections are long gone, but I’m still lucky enough to have the chance to experience the pleasures of hunting for treasure. Today I search for good stories t use in the books I write, facts about baseball and other subjects that will make readers laugh or shake their heads or think about things in a slightly different way. When I come upon a detail new to me in an old newspaper, long-out-of-print book, or conversation, I get the same quiet thrill I felt when I found a newt or a Nolan Ryan rookie card.

Put today’s excerpt in a baseball context.

No comments:

Site Meter