3/21/2008

So you want to pitch?

The Sydney Morning Herald has this on ex-Rattler Ryan Rowland-Smith. The headline is okay. The subheadline is better. The lede is awsome! The last two are pulled from the story.

A detour in Venezuela has put Ryan Rowland-Smith on his way from Seattle's bullpen to the starting rotation, writes Alex Brown in London.

The cockroaches he could take. So, too, the long, crowded bus trips. But when Ryan Rowland-Smith found himself at the epicentre of Venezuelan political turmoil late last year, the nerves began to fray.

There is a bit about the protests and living in Venezuela. Cockroaches again figure into the story.

I know that this is the equivalent to just over 90mph on a fastball, but hearing it in KPH makes you stop for a moment.

Since returning to the US for spring training, Rowland-Smith has proved harder to hit than a one-iron down a hallway. Using his 150kmh fastball, curve, slider and change-up to full effect, the left-handed hurler has yet to yield a run in six games, posting five strikeouts in the process. With opening day barely a week away, expect Rowland-Smith to figure prominently on the Mariners' Major League roster.

This is a really neat part of the article. Rowland-Smith pitched against Ken Griffey, Jr and here is what the folks back home thought...

"I thought that it was pretty cool, because even my mates back in Australia would know who he was because he was on The Simpsons," he said. "I was just thinking to myself, 'You're young. Just don't walk anyone. Compete and give yourself a chance.' Before I knew it, I was ahead in the count, and I started thinking I was a chance of getting him out. Then I threw the crap out of a breaking pitch, and he swung. And I had an out. It was surreal. I didn't know whether to look up at the crowd or down at the ground - walk off the field quickly or slowly.

One more. What is it like your first time in Yankee Stadium?

"But New York is intense. The noise, the history, the atmosphere. In my first game there, Brad Pitt was sitting right above our dugout, and he was surrounded by paparazzi. The whole experience was humbling and brought me back to earth pretty quickly.

"Even warming up is crazy. The fans there don't hold back at you. They swear and abuse you, and if you make eye contact, you're finished, because they know they're getting through to you and they'll swear at you all night long. Even five-year-old kids are giving it to you. And they do their homework. The next night I came back, and they'd obviously done their research. They knew all about me and even my mum's name, and I was just copping it. But that's just the way it is."

Check out the whole article on the ex-Rattler ('02, '03).

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Hey there.
Nice find. I found your blog today while searching for RRS news for my Aussie MLB players blog (ozmlbplayers.blogspot.com). The funny thing is I live in Sydney, where we are starved of any baseball news, yet I didnt see this article in the paper! Unbelieveable. I am not so confident as the writer of the article, but I am hopeful that RRS can see some good time in the bigs this year.
Cheers
Nathan

Chris said...

Thanks for stopping by, Nathan.

Good coverage on the blog and nice mapping out of the route the story took to get to you.

Site Meter