3/26/2008

For our Australian Readers

From the Mariner website:

Rowland-Smith's fate remains uncertain

The run left-hander Ryan Rowland-Smith surrendered during Tuesday's Minor League game didn't count against his Cactus League ERA, which remains perfect.

He has not allowed an earned in 12 innings.

But whether that's good enough to land a spot on the Mariners' 25-man Opening Day roster is up in the air, and he knows it.

"It plays on your mind all the time," he said after pitching two innings against the Rangers' Triple-A affiliate on one of the practice fields at the Peoria Sports Complex. "You try not to read into anything when you see who's throwing on this day or that day, but you're trying to figure out where you fit in."

It would seem to depend on the number 11 or the number 12.

If [Manager John] McLaren and pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre go with a 12-man staff, Rowland-Smith would be a strong candidate.

"That's what I wanted to do coming into camp," he said. "I knew the rotation was set and I just tried to get one of the spots in the bullpen. I think I've given myself a good opportunity.

"I'm really happy with how I've thrown, really happy. There were a few things, like a leadoff walk here or there, or a couple of two-strike pitches I wasn't happy with. But overall, I'm stoked with how I've done."

I'll wrap the post up with words to live by from the lefty.
"I always try to stay positive and tell myself that it's not where I am in April," he said, "it's where I am in September."
Amen.

No comments:

Site Meter