8/03/2008

Catching up with...

Chris Minaker ('06) gets a really nice story in the Seattle Times.

Chris Minaker leads on and off the field at Class A High Desert
Mariners farmhand Chris Minaker is no different from any of the thousands of minor-league players who carry big-league dreams.

And then again, the 24-year-old infielder from Lynnwood is completely different.

None of his teammates boasts a master's degree, and from Stanford, no less.

Minaker could be a Rhodes scholar or a seminarian. Or working on his doctorate with the postgraduate scholarship awarded him by the NCAA.

But Minaker's short-term goal is on the diamond.

"It is comforting to some extent that I have other things I can fall back on because of my education, but my dream to make it to the major leagues is as big as anyone else's," said Minaker, a former Edmonds-Woodway High School star who was drafted by Seattle in the 10th round in 2006. "I don't want to diminish how committed I am, and how hard I am working to achieving that."

Go read the whole thing, but here is the takeaway quote from the end.

"I am going to give baseball everything I have, and I am certain that when this door closes, that God will open even bigger and better doors for me," he said. "I truly believe that."

No comments:

Site Meter