7/12/2010

A few notes from the Cooper visit

The Post-Crescent has a photo gallery from yesterday's action.

They also have this column by Mike Woods.

Milwaukee Brewers should retire Cecil Cooper's No. 15 jersey

Then, there was this story with this tidbit:
No two guys were happier to see each other Sunday than Cecil Cooper and Matt Erickson.

"We'll always have a special moment together because he was the guy who told me I was getting called up to the big leagues," Erickson said Sunday after Cooper made an appearance during the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' 4-1 victory over Burlington in Midwest League play on Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

"He was just as happy as I was. Sometimes people fake that kind of stuff but he was genuinely pleased for me. And that means a lot as a player. So I knew, that entire season, he was somebody that was on my side.""We'll always have a special moment together because he was the guy who told me I was getting called up to the big leagues," Erickson said Sunday after Cooper made an appearance during the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' 4-1 victory over Burlington in Midwest League play on Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

"He was just as happy as I was. Sometimes people fake that kind of stuff but he was genuinely pleased for me. And that means a lot as a player. So I knew, that entire season, he was somebody that was on my side."
For a fan perspective on the game, head over to this post.
Growing up a Brewers fan in the 80's, there were plenty of Brewers players to be a fan of. Robin, Molitor, Rollie, Gumby. But for me there was no Brewer player I loved more than Cecil Cooper. I can still hear Bob Betts on the County Stadium PA "now batting, number fifteen, Cecil Cooper...Cooper." Maybe it was the fact that I played first base in tee ball, or Cooper's unique batting stance, or the way everyone in the stands cheered Coooooop. Whatever the reason, Cecil was and still is my favorite Brewer of all time. So it was a real treat for me on Sunday to get a chance to see him throw out the first pitch before the Timber Rattlers game against the Burlington Bees. Khris Davis (pictured), Scooter Gennett and Jake Odorizzi took over from there and helped make it a great baseball Sunday all around as the Rattlers topped Burlington 4 to 1.
Plenty of pictures by Brad from yesterday at this link.

No comments:

Site Meter