1/05/2007

Another ex-Rattler moves to Fenway

David Ortiz (WI '96) has company.

Pineiro could assume closer role
Sox ink righty, may move veteran starter to ninth-inning role

BOSTON -- The Red Sox still haven't definitively stated who their closer will be in 2007, but an apparent front-runner has emerged. This, after Thursday's announcement that Boston has signed free-agent right-hander Joel Pineiro to a one-year contract that includes a mutual option for 2008.

The Red Sox envision Pineiro, a starter for most of his career, making a positive transition to the bullpen.

"Obviously, I think I know what role I'm going to be doing, so I'm going to focus on that," said Pineiro. "I've been talking to some people who obviously do that closing job, and trying to get a little feedback. That starting thing, that's in the past. If I get the chance, I get the chance, but my thought process now is to go out there and try and close things out."


Pineiro was a Rattler in 1998.

No comments:

Site Meter