1/20/2007

Philadelphia stories

While checking on some information on Greg Dobbs joining the Phillies at their website, there were a couple of other stories that caught my eye.

The first has to do with Chris Coste. Coste was a catcher for the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks when I worked for the Duluth-Superior Dukes. He is responsible for one of the more disgusting stories to ever be aired on a pre-game show that I presided over. (Nope. Not going to tell it here.) You'll have to find a copy of his book Hey... I'm Just the Catcher: An Inside Look at a Northern League Season From Behind the Plate and guess which one of the stories in there is the one that actually put me off food for a couple of days...which was pretty tough to do when I worked for the Dukes.

For Coste, coast is not clear
Phillies catcher likely to be relegated to reserve role

PHILADELPHIA -- Sitting at a table marked for him as a guest on the Phillies' Winter Tour, Chris Coste rehashed stories about his year of personal satisfaction and the subsequent calm offseason.

For the first time since 1999, the Phillies catcher could spend the winter months with family in Fargo, N.D., rather than playing in Mexico and wondering when or if his Major League chance would arrive. Thankfully, he didn't have to wonder this winter, because his chance came after 11 years of battling in independent leagues, the Minors and surviving through winters closer to the equator.

"My path of getting to the big leagues definitely shaped who I am and made me appreciate being in big leagues," Coste said. "Whether it's something simple like a $50 room service, I appreciate that. It's a great thrill being here, and I want to make it last as long as possible."

The 34-year-old's fortitude is being tested once again. Despite catching the majority of the team's games down the stretch, while hitting .328 with seven homers, it appears Coste will be the third-string catcher and pinch-hitter with the offseason signing of free-agent backstop Rod Barajas to a one-year deal.


And Greg Dobbs isn't the only player on the Phillies with ties to Appleton baseball. Here is a Q & A with a former member of the Appleton Foxes.

At home with ... Tom Gordon
Phillies closer feeling good, pleased with offseason moves

Q. How has the offseason been treating you?

A. It's been really good. I've actually gone over to Clearwater from my home in Avon, Fla., a few times this week to get prepared and to stay in shape. I'm feeling good about my shoulder. I've been following the strengthening program that I received at the end of the season.

Q. What have you been doing to kick back when you're not working out?

A. I spend a lot of time fishing. That's a real relaxing time for me when I can go out on the water and throw out a line.

Q. Are you catching or just fishing?

A. Actually, I've caught a lot of bass and crappie. Just to go out there for four or five hours and reel in around 50 fish is really a thrill for me.


Later in the session, we find that Gordon is a Clint Eastwood fan, likes the acquisition of Freddy Garcia, and he is looking forward to Spring Training.

No comments:

Site Meter