2/10/2007

Complete agreement

Brian Anderson, the new Brewer TV announcer had a post earlier this week that deals with a question that I also receive from time to time. His response is about what I would give...except better, more polished, and less sarcaastic.

Home Run Call
The question I've been asked the most from Brew fan: "What's your home run call?" Well, I hope I don't disappoint you but I don't have a home run call. I think I use "gone" a lot...Sometimes "outta here." But mostly I just call it as I see it. Is it a line drive? A high towering shot? Did he get enough? Here is my mental checklist for home runs (and any other big hits): Name, Score, Shut up." Especially during home games. Now, I'm not opposed to home run calls. It's just that all the good ones are taken. In my opinion, there are three ground rules for such calls: 1) If you're in, or headed to, the Hall of Fame you can have a home run call. 2) No plagiarism. And, 3) Only one per team. Especially if that "one" is memorialized with ballpark signage.

I agree with all three ground rules set forth by Mr. Anderson.

I tried a home run call when I first started in baseball announcing. But, it came out forced and unnatural so I dropped it. Besides, I'm forced and unnatural in real life. I don't need to sound like that on the radio.

No comments:

Site Meter