10/04/2008

A slight difference

Okay. The Brewers and the Cubs are both down 0-2 in their respective divisional series. Here is one post from the SBNation blogs for both teams regarding that two game deficit.

First Bleed Cubbie Blue

Cubs Add Insult To Insult With Dreadful 10-3 Loss To Dodgers
Put away your dreams, everyone. It's over.

Last night's 10-3 Cubs loss to the Dodgers, which felt like the score was 100-3, was the most embarrassing postseason loss I have seen by any Cubs team, in fact possibly the most embarrassing postseason loss I've seen by ANY team.

Yes, I know. In fact, Manny Ramirez said it in the postgame press conference, which I listened to with little enthusiasm on the drive home: it takes three wins, not two, to win, and there have been seven five-game series in the history of MLB postseason play in which a team went down 2-0 and came back to win.
A list of the seven series in which that happened...including a gem that goes like this:
  • The 1984 NLCS. Nuff said.
Laugh. Cry. Slam my head into a wall. I'm torn. Back to the article
I guess this means it can be done. But not by this team, not the way it's playing.
Now to Brew Crew Ball.
This isn't where I'd hoped we'd be on Friday, but it's where we are, so let's make the best of it.

Ok, any idiot could write a gloom-and-doom Mug at this point, dismiss the Brewer season and spend the weekend picking apples or something. I might pick apples this weekend (I'm out), but I'm not giving up yet. Here are my reasons for optimism:
Reasons listed

*This is the difference between a fanbase that has had its expectations raised only to have its heart broken time after time after time after...well, you get the idea...and a fanbase that has has had little to cheer for over the the last 26 years.


*-Gigantic sweeping statement based on two blog posts. Take it for what it is worth.

No comments:

Site Meter