10/26/2008

Packer bye? No problem.

For the last five or six years, WTMJ in Milwaukee has run classic Green Bay Packer games during Packer bye weeks.

In the past, I've heard replays of Super Bowl XXXI, The Ice Bowl, and Brett Favre's Monday Night game at Oakland.

This year is perhaps the greatest Packer game that was played while I was in college....The Instant Replay Game against the Bears.

Audio is running right now at WTMJ.com. Here is the story.

During the time in which the replay booth discerned their decision on the play, Majkowski had a memorable exchange with a hall of fame linebacker, the Bears' Mike Singletary.

"Before they announced (the changed outcome of the play), I was standing near midfield with the referee and I was just saying what a shame it would be if they didn't change this call and make the correct call," said Majkowski.

Then Singletary, now the interim head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, chimed in.

"He kind of gave me a little razzing. He said to me, 'nice game, Majik. You played a hell of a game. Too bad you're not going to win again. Too bad it's not going to happen again this year. You guys just can't seem to get over the hump.' "

The Bears had beaten Green Bay eight consecutive times going into the Instant Replay game. Majkowski was confident it wouldn't be nine.

"I did the same thing to him at the time. I said, 'Whatever! Just hang out and see what the refs say.' When they came down and said 'after further review, we have a reversal,' man, the place went nuts, and the crowd started going nuts.

Why was this perhaps the greatest Packer game while I was in college? Bullet point time:

  • I went to college where the Bears trained
  • I was surrounded by Bear fans
  • The Packers had not been -- oh what's the phrase -- not very good for years
  • They beat the Bears
  • Jim Irwin and Max McGee were on fire during this game
  • The sounds of the Packer and Bear fans around Melcher Hall and the rest of campus as the play was being reviewed were hilarious
As this post goes up, the game just went to the two-minute warning for the first half. This is well worth the listen today.

No comments:

Site Meter