10/03/2008

Tin Caps story

Here is the Fort Wayne Journal coverage of the switch from Wizards to Tin Caps.
Mike Nutter wasn’t sure he wanted a name change.

But then the general manager of Fort Wayne’s Class A minor league baseball team had what he called a “eureka” moment. With the team moving to a new downtown park next season, he thought it was the perfect time to make a change.
Quick aside. I hope it wasn't like the original "eureka" moment...
Archimedes...reportedly proclaimed, "Eureka!" when he stepped into a bath and noticed that the water level rose – he suddenly understood that the volume of water displaced must be equal to the volume of the part of his body he had submerged. This meant that the volume of irregular objects could be calculated with precision, a previously intractable problem. He is said to have been so eager to share his realisation that he leapt out of his bathtub and ran through the streets of Syracuse naked.
back to the story...
Octane, Fuel and Current were among those in the final round. The franchise had been named the Wizards since it moved from Kenosha, Wis., in 1993.

“It was a process, it took us awhile to get here. But we’re very happy to have it out there now,” Nutter said. “This was not one of those deals where ahead of time we knew what it was going in. We didn’t.

“… When we got to the national expert, he said nobody has done the apple, which is about as all-American as it gets with our national pastime. Nobody has that logo.”
Fort Wayne Tin Cap fan reaction forthcoming.

1 comment:

THE KID said...

Well, we'll see if i get published and become famous in Fort Wayne....or not....probably not. But i tried, i feel bad for those fans.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 3:17 PM
To: 'jgsports@jg.net'
Subject: tin cap view from outside fort wayne

Good Day Fort Wayne Fans…

I know this statement comes with biased, but I follow my Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and the Midwest League via the best minor league website going, http://rattler-radio.blogspot.com, (shameless plug Mehring, you owe me) and when I followed the links and saw the news Thursday…wow.

Believe me, I get the idea of a marketing face lift when going into a spanking new stadium (and by the way, from your teams website Parkview Field looks outstanding). The Timber Rattlers were previously the Appleton Foxes before moving into Fox Cities Stadium in 1995. But….wow.

In my opinion you had a good looking logo (and apparently 93% of online voters agree). How do you go from Dinger to an angry apple with a pot on it’s head?....um, wow.

I don’t know how closely Fort Wayne fans follow the comings and goings of the rest of the league. But we’ve been a Seattle Mariners affiliate for 16 years until the switch was made a couple weeks ago to be a Milwaukee Brewers farm club. I was a bit bent out of shape. The Mariners system is all I’ve know since I moved to the area some 12 years ago.

I’m warming up to it now and I realize change is inevitable, but let me just say your switch from Wizards to Tin Caps has made me feel a whole lot better about our affiliation switch.

On the bright side Fort Wayne, while it did take some time the Quad Cities club realized it made a mistake becoming the SWING and switched back to the River Bandits last year….so hang in there, there’s hope for you.

Mike J.
Appleton, WI.

Site Meter