10/07/2008

Welcome, Joe

Ex-Rattler Joe Woerman is blogging at mlblogs.com.

Here is the first entry. A little background on the following excerpt: Joe's dad was a career officer in the Navy.
I played in Tacoma WA, this year, the AAA affiliate for the Mariners. After 4 months of pitching there, I was transferred to West Tenn of the Southern League (AA). I had the great opportunity to see so mant great cities in the PCL. Since we fly everywhere, it added a whole new angle to Baseball for me. There are pros and cons of the tough travel, especially from a city situated so far away from all the other opponent clubs. I for one, happen to be a huge aviation enthusiast, so cramming into a plane so frequently is a real treat for me. On the down side, there is so much time between bussing to and from airports, waiting for what seems like forever in check-in lines, eating stale breakfast sandwiches in an airport lounge, and just sitting and watching all the other travelers walk by. At the airport, I guess at its absolute worse, I seem to look up and notice a group, or lone soldier in their camoflouge toting their personnals amongst the shiny floors of the airport walking to who knows where. The middle East? Some far reaching outpost somewhere, or maybe to the safe confines of their home wherever that may be. Its only then that I realize my job, Baseball, is possible because of those individuals, the backbone of our military might. What it boils down to is that from the moment I step out my apartment door to the moment we take the field thousands of miles away that night, it seems like a mini Lewis and Clarke expedition.

No comments:

Site Meter