12/12/2008

One time co-owner of the New York Knights is gone

Earlier this week, actor Robert Prosky died.
Robert Prosky, 77, a character actor with hundreds of film, TV and stage credits whose roles included an avuncular sergeant on the NBC police drama "Hill Street Blues" and a desperate real estate salesman in David Mamet's play "Glengarry Glen Ross," has died.
He played Sgt. Stan Jablonsky on Hill Street Blues. But -- in my world -- he was best known as The Judge, the co-owner of the New York Knights.

Here is how he introduced himself to Roy Hobbs in the movie:
Please pardon the absence of light. You see, as a youngster I was frightened of the dark and I used to wake up sobbing in it as if it was water...and I was drowning in it.

As you will observe, I have disciplined myself against that fear that now I much prefer a dark room.

With no college football this Saturday, I'll have to pop that movie in the LaserDisc at the trailer.

1 comment:

THE KID said...

I knew I remembered him from somewhere else having to do with dinosaurs...???...

At first I thought Jurassic Park?...but i thought no, that was another older actor with a white beard...

I had to go to IMDB.com and it was....Mrs. Doubtfire!!!

I believe he was the station owner or producer who saw Robin Williams playing with some toy dinosaurs mocking the current host of some children's show and of course happy ending ensues....

I guess my wealth of useless knowledge is not just limited to sports and 80's hair metal...

The things we remember...

Site Meter