4/16/2009

I remember Merle

Former Brewer announcer Merle Harmon was one of the first radio announcers I remember. From 1970-1979, he was the play-by-play announcer for the Brewers. He has passed away.

I remember having the transistor radio (yes, transistor radio) next to the bed for the west coast games and listening to the game on the porch after coming home from little league games. It was Mr. Harmon's voice that was there.

This is a story all broadcasters should take to heart.
In his book, "Voices of Summer," Smith said Harmon's first radio call came in 1949, a Class C doubleheader in Colorado.

"It lasted eight hours, the temperature was 104 and I had a headache," Harmon told his audience that day.

"Don't tell us your troubles," a listener said to him. "Broadcast the game."
I remember always stopping in at Merle Harmon's Fan Fair in Southridge Mall whenever we made the trip in there. There may still be some of that stuff in the basement at my parents house.

Bob Uecker, Harmon's partner on Brewer Broadcasts, had this statement on the Brewer website yesterday.
"Merle was a great friend and a wonderful partner in the booth, and the memories he leaves us with will be cherished forever. His dedication to family and broadcasting were second to none, and I will always be grateful for the latitude and direction he gave to me as I was entering the profession. My heart goes out to his family, and I speak for everyone at the Brewers in saying that this is a very sad day for all of us."

No comments:

Site Meter