4/20/2009

He's one of ours

Jordan Zimmerman is making his major league debut tonight for the 1-10 Washington Nationals. I'm just going to put aside the whole UW-Stevens Point thing for the Auburndale, Wisconsin native and say congratulations.

Here is the article from the Nationals website for his big night.

Monday's game between the Nationals and Braves will be worth watching. Why? Washington right-hander Jordan Zimmermann will make his Major League debut.
Zimmermann was named the Nationals' fifth starter during Spring Training with the understanding he would pitch with Triple-A Syracuse until his services were needed 11 games into Washington's schedule.

Zimmerman, 22, made one start with the Chiefs, tossing 5 1/3 innings on April 9 against Rochester. Zimmermann went 1-1 with a 3.14 ERA in five games (three starts) this spring, and he held opponents scoreless in four of his five outings.

"You are always excited to see one of your bright prospects," acting general manager Mike Rizzo said. "I feel he will come with a good game plan. I don't think he will be intimidated by a Major League stadium or Major League hitters. I'm looking forward to him having a successful outing and really kick-start his Major League career."

Zimmermann entered this season rated the Nationals' No. 1 prospect by Baseball America. After 39 Minor League games, he owns a 15-5 career record with a 2.81 ERA.
This reminded me that I found another one of ours in my search around the stat pages yesterday.

Greg Reinhard, for whom I will put aside the whole UW-Whitewater thing, is a native of Marinette, WI and is out there in Iowa playing for the Cubs.

If anyone else knows of Wisconsin natives out there in affiliated minor league ball, drop a line on this thread. I'll do a post on that later this week.

1 comment:

parkside21 said...

I've followed Zimmermann pretty closely after watching him pitch at TWCF@FCS a couple years ago in the D3 Tourney. I also have followed Michael Eisenberg somewhat closely who pitched for Marietta College at the time. Eisenberg and Zimmermann matched up in one of those most exciting pitchers duels I've ever seen, with Eisenberg getting the better half that night. Though, Zimmermann has had the more successful professional career up to this point.

I wish Jordan the best tonight, both for his own sake, and selfishly because I own him on a couple deep fantasy teams, but no one cares about that, haha. Anyways, good luck to him, makes me wish we still had that free preview of MLB Extra Innings going on this week.

Site Meter