4/13/2009

I'm not saying people who write into newspapers are negative...

I'm just saying...

Reader Reaction Forum: Does Brewers affiliation increase T-Rat interest?

Of the eight responses used by the Post-Crescent to answer the question above...I counted one absolutely positive, one eh, and wait and see, and five that range from somewhat negative to overwhelmingly negative. Click the link to read them all, but here are a few of my favorites...
RATHER PLAY: Well, no, to tell you the truth. I've been to a couple Rattlers' games in past years with the Cub Scouts when I was a Cub master. I've been to one Brewers game, a couple Appleton Foxes games years ago, and I managed to see one Milwaukee Braves game when I was a lad. It's like with the Packers, since we canceled our cable TV subscription in '99, I have not watched a complete Packers game. The last one was when the Packers lost to Denver in the Super Bowl. I don't miss it. I'd rather play a game than watch it. I've played lots more softball than I've watched baseball games. I've golfed a lot more than I've watched tournaments on TV, though I do miss the Masters. For me, the best spectator and participatory sport is politics. As Heinlein said, it's almost as important as your own breathing.
Yes, the literary genius of Robert A. Heinlein...But, you can't blame him for Starship Troopers not translating well to film. Wait, no TV, so he probably hasn't seen it.
BEST DAYS PAST: Baseball has not been one of my great needs or loves, other then watching the grandkids do their thing with Little League, etc. Paying to watch someone doing bodily gyrations, scratching themselves, chewing a cud and then spewing it out before any action begins is not my idea of something grandiose. Give me the rough-and-tumble football and its magnificent action. The days of the great players like "the Babe" and Lou Gehrig are long gone, so the Rattlers' new association means very little. Now, if you mean the Chesapeake, Va., Little League Chargers, that's a whole different ball game.
Well, we're not...so...And he does know that minor league players can't chew tobacco, right? He does know that tobacco products are banned for minor league players? And "the Babe" never...oh, man...just go read them all.

2 comments:

THE KID said...

Now i'm not one to be sarcastic (read: lie) or hammer on other people (read: another lie) but...

We've got a guy that WANTS to talk about politics...A guy that is worn out from WATCHING hockey...A guy that I guess likes football but seems to have an affection for little league baseball in Virginia and a guy that hasn't had cable television for the last 10 years...???....

This is what you have Post Crescent?

This is your readership?

That is why it will take something really, really juicy to get me back commenting on the PC-Blogs. I grew weary of the bitterness, the adolescent and simply uneducated comments.

And I got tired of defending the Mariners system to people that wouldn't have considered coming to a Rattlers game until now (and from the looks of Friday nights crowd compared to Thursday nights...unless there's a bobblehead give-a-way).

Where have all the intelligent posters gone?

That's rhetorical of course...they're all bettering themselves on Rattler Radio and having intelligent, civilized conversation with my new friends at the Let's Go Rattlers Fan Blog.

Sarah said...

Well said, Kid! Well, said!

-s

Site Meter