1/23/2010

The interesting case of Grant Desme

Grant Desme hit .274 with 11 homers with Kane County before getting promoted to Advanced-A in the Oakland system. Then, he hit 11 homers in the Arizona Fall League and put himself on the radar as pretty good prospect in the Oakland system. Now, with Spring Training near, Desme has a different Opening Day in mind.
Grant Desme knew there was a higher ground even when he was playing for the low-Class A Kane County Cougars.

The 23-year-old outfielder announced his retirement from professional baseball Friday.

He is joining the priesthood.

...Desme informed A's general manager Billy Beane of his decision Thursday.

''Coming at him with this out of the blue was a shock,'' Desme said Friday. ''It knocked him off his horse a bit. But he was very supportive and understanding, which I appreciate.''

Desme led the Arizona Fall League with 11 home runs and was named the MVP.

He decided to enroll in the Catholic seminary St. Michael's Abbey in Orange County, Calif., after the fall league concluded. His final game was in the league championship Nov. 21.

''I knew it was a good chance of being the last baseball game I would play,'' Desme said, ''which was ironic considering I hit a home run and proceeded to strike out twice. That defined my career. There was no sad feeling.''

Desme visited the abbey and checked out the way of life.

''I let it sink in for a week or two,'' said Desme, who was born Catholic in Bakersfield, Calif. ''I talked to quite a few different priests and my family about the desire I was having. I kept this to myself in the baseball community. I decided I was going to apply. They sped up the process to accept me. Its about a 10-year process of studying and formation. In comparison, I'm re-entering the minor leagues.''

...

When Desme played for the Cougars, he relied on spiritual material to pass time on the tedious Midwest League bus trips.
I've thought of becoming a lot of things while staring out the window of that bus. Father Mehring was never one of them. Tedium or no.

Enough flippancy. When He calls, you answer. Best of luck to a young man who seems to have his priorities in order.

No comments:

Site Meter