12/16/2007

110 Days to Opening Day 2008

Opening Day 2008 for the Timber Rattlers is April 3. That is 110 days from today. This off-season, the countdown will be based on books. Each day between now and Opening Day 2008, I will pick a random book out of my library and excerpt a passage off the page number corresponding with the number of days remaining to the first pitch of the new season. I will try not to repeat a book during the countdown.

Today's book is Bobby the Brain: Wrestling's Bad Boy Tells All. There are some funny stories in this book and this is a prized possession of mine because of the autograph inside: To Chris, My Favorite Ham & Egger. Bobby "The Brain" Heenan. The book image above is from Bobbythebrain.com. He has another book out called Chair Shots and Other Obstacles (Winning Life's Wrestling Matches). Motivation from the Brain, what a great idea.

The passage is a life lesson from the Brain that we can all take to heart.

The pay-per-views in Sturgis were dangerous. All the bikers arrived at noon, and the pay-per-view didn't start until 7:00. They drank all day in the hot sun. There was no flooring, just gravel, which gave them something to throw.

I did the commentary with Tony Schiavone and Dusty Rhodes. When I walked out to the announcer's table, the people cheered me and I waved to them.

Dusty nudged me and said, "I thought you were a heel."

"Not when they have rocks and we're stationary. We wave to them."
Put today's excerpt in a baseball context.

No comments:

Site Meter