12/19/2007

Peoria reaction

The Peoria Journal-Star has more on the return of Ryne Sandberg to the Chiefs.
When Ryne Sandberg exited through the outfield gate at O'Brien Field on Labor Day, the final day of the Midwest League season, the expectation was that the Hall of Fame second baseman was finished managing the Peoria Chiefs.

Those thoughts were proven wrong, however, when the Chicago Cubs and the Chiefs announced Tuesday that Sandberg would return to Peoria to manage the Cubs' Class A baseball affiliate.

"I'm looking forward to getting another season under my belt and can't think of a better place to do it again," Sandberg said by telephone from Atlanta. "It's a good situation, and (wife) Margaret and I really enjoyed being there."

He is the first Chiefs manager to return for a second season since Joe Cunningham in 2004.

And he is looking forward to it.

"This time last year, I knew I was going to manage in Peoria but didn't know anything about (managing). Everything was new to me through the whole year," Sandberg said. "That will be different. It's just about gaining more experience to get another year under my belt."

No comments:

Site Meter