12/13/2007

A needed respite

Once the Mitchell Report airs out the dirty laundry, I'll need a break to get away. It may not be at the midnight showing tonight, but at some point this weekend, I may actually venture out of the trailer compound to take in I Am Legend.

I am a bit nervous about this movie. The last Will Smith movie I saw in a theater that was based on a favorite piece of my childhood was Wild, Wild West. I doubt that I will ever forgive him, Kevin Kline, or Kenneth Branagh for that. Salma Hayek? I can't stay mad at her.

But, I Am Legend is a chance I'm willing to take. It is a remake of the Charlton Heston classic The Omega Man. That is a movie that appeals to the 10-year old in most guys. Plus, it's just like my life right now. Look at this scene right here and realize that I have a pair of sunglasses almost exactly like Heston's.


God bless Charlton Heston, dammit!

Apparently, the original trailer for The Omega Man was a roadmap for me.

Except, I play chess against a variety of bobbleheads instead of a bust of Caesar. And dressing for dinner on Sunday does not involve lace cuffs or a lace cravat. Usually, I'll take the baseball hat off my head.

It's been a while since I've seen the Heston version, but I'm pretty sure the place that was the HQ of The Family and the place that Chuck is tearing around on the motorbike is Dodger Stadium. (There's your baseball tie-in to this post).

The one thing that gives me pause for the Smith version is the feeling that the end of this movie will not be nearly as downbeat as the end of the Heston version. Maybe I'll have a post on some of my thoughts and impressions after I see it.

No comments:

Site Meter