12/29/2007

97 Days to Opening Day 2008


Opening Day 2008 for the Timber Rattlers is April 3. That is 97 days from today. This off-season, the countdown will be based on books. Each day between now and Opening Day 2008, I will pick a random book out of my library and excerpt a passage off the page number corresponding with the number of days remaining to the first pitch of the new season. I will try not to repeat a book during the countdown.

Today's book is Headslap: The Life and Times of Deacon Jones by John Klawitter and Deacon Jones.

This excerpt is Deacon (then known as Davey) and his father sharing a moment before Deacon heads off to training camp with the Los Angeles Rams.
Davey stood with his dad in the tiny Orlando airport, waiting for the DC-3 that would shuttle him to Tampa. Ishmeal stood awkwardly at his side, twisting his hat in his hands, 'Son, you mama an' your sisters wish you well. Don' misunderstand, they didn't give you no party or come along. They don' want to give you no embarrassment...if you be comin' back."

Davey shook his head, looking out at the palm trees across the short runway. This was in the days before Disney World, and the brand-new jet 707 passenger planes couldn't land there. "You think I'm comin' back?"

Ishmeal smiled and shook his head, "Only 'cept to visit."

"You the only one in Eatonville who believes," Davey said. He looked directly into his father's eyes, "Many's the night I seen you sittin' in the stands, watchin' me practice. I bet you didn't even know I seen you up there, but I want to thank you for that."

His dad shrugged his shoulders and fished in his pockets for his crumpled pack of Camels.

"I want you to know it mean the world to me. You're my number one fan." Davey was remembering back to all the practices and all the games, in the mud and the chill and the rain when Ishmeal had showed up. He wasn't only going to miss his girlfriend when he was all the way across the country. There was this quiet man who never let him down.

A smile spread across Ishmeal's face, "Always was, son. Always was."
Put today's excerpt in a baseball context.

No comments:

Site Meter