3/10/2008

24 Days Until Opening Day

Opening Day 2008 for the Timber Rattlers is April 3. That is 24 days from today. This off-season, the countdown will be based on books. Each day between now and Opening Day 2008, I will pick a random book out of my library and excerpt a passage off the page number corresponding with the number of days remaining to the first pitch of the new season. I will try not to repeat a book during the countdown.

Today's book is a Babylon 5 novel, The Shadow Within by Jeanne Cavelos. Also, today there really are 24 days until Opening Day. Daylight Savings can really throw me even more off my game.

"Are you all right? You have blood on your neck."

She touched the area she'd been scratching. "It's nothing." He remained in the doorway. "I know I've screwed up."

"According to them"----Chang flashed his eyes skyward, toward the executives----"we both did. But truthfully, no one could have known what would happen. And your theory was right. The mechanism was telepathically controlled. I don't think anyone else would have figured that out. At least not so quickly."

"I know we don't have a lot left to work with, but I don't want to give up. Maybe by studying the fragments I can figure out something that might help that telepath recover."

"I've been asked to take over the testing," he said in his neutral tone.

A thousand objections ran through Anna's mind, but she didn't feel she had the right to utter any of them. She sat.

"I know you're the best person for this job."


Put today's excerpt in a baseball context.

No comments:

Site Meter