1/28/2009

I haven't mentioned this before...

But, now seems like a good time.

A lot of you have probably noticed that Jim Powell is leaving the Brewer broadcast booth and taking a job in Atlanta.

A few of you have e-mailed -- Hi, Uncle Jerry -- to ask if I would be going after the opening at Miller Park. Truthfully, I thought about at least sending something in just to get my name out there for the future...for about a day.

A few things stood in the way:

Unlike most of the radio announcers I know, I do not have a tape (or what the kids these days call a CD) and resume ready to go at a moments notice.

By the time I heard about the opening and where to send the information, it was too late to get something down to Milwaukee. The need for me to be on the phone and in meetings selling for this Timber Rattler season took precedence over taking a day and a half to put together something in a rush that would have gotten me laughed out of the building.

In the end I am -- above most things -- a realist.

WTMJ-AM (Radio 620) and the Milwaukee Brewers have narrowed their search for a replacement for broadcaster Jim Powell, who is leaving to become the play-by-play for the Atlanta Braves.

All of the finalists have major-league experience. Rick Schlesinger, the Brewers' executive vice president for business operations, said today that both the franchise and WTMJ hope to have a replacement in time for the first spring-training game on Feb. 25 in Arizona.

The main point/stumbling block is in bold.

Powell remains classy to the end.
The future of this team looks bright and of course Bob and his new partner will do a great job bringing the games to you. I was not in any way trying to get another job...my family loves Milwaukee and I loved my job. Going to my hometown to work for the team I rooted for while growing up is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I just could not ignore it. I hope you understand. How many people on this earth besides Ueck and now me actually get to broadcast the Major League games of the team with which they grew up? Can you name anyone else? My family and I will always love Milwaukee and I will continue to follow the Brewers very closely. I hope the Braves and the Crew meet for the NL title every year!
That's part of a thank you message he placed on a Brewer message board over at Sports Bubbler.com

Thanks to Right Field Bleachers for making those links easy to find.

1 comment:

THE KID said...

Well, believe it or not someone of us are glad you're sticking around :)

Besides if you left you'd have to change the disclaimer up underneath your "about me" section of the blog.

Site Meter