10/23/2007

Lance Painter, Colorado Rockie

The Denver Post is getting ready for the World Series by checking in on Rockie Alumni. Today they catch up with Lance Painter. But, not to talk about his starting for the Rockies in a 1995 playoff game against the Braves. More about his pinch hitting appearance one game earlier.

Time doesn't dim 1995 cameo at plate.

Lance Painter probably is as happy as anyone else about the rise of the Rockies and their sensational rush over the past month to the World Series.

For 12 years, Painter had carried the burden of being one of only a few notable memories of a Rockies player in the postseason. Painter was a left-handed pitcher on the 1995 Rockies team that reached the playoffs as a wild- card team, gaining the postseason on the last day of the regular season with a 10-9 victory over the San Francisco Giants.

But Painter didn't gain notoriety as a pitcher. His short claim to fame came as a hitter - a pinch hitter, no less - against the Atlanta Braves and closer Mark Wohlers, the premier fireballer of the day with 25 saves in the regular season. It was the first game of the best-of-five series, and the Braves were leading 5-4.

"I was in the clubhouse charting pitches because I was starting the next game," Painter said. "I saw where Wohlers hit 102 on the speed gun on one of his pitches. I got a call from (Rockies hitting coach) Art Howe telling me to get my uniform on and get up to the dugout. I thought I was going to pitch the 10th inning."

But when Painter reached the dugout, Howe told him to grab a bat.

The circumstances were hectic. The Rockies had the bases loaded, but manager Don Baylor had gone all out to win the game and had used up his bench. Painter was considered a good hitting pitcher and became the last resort. Hard-hitting third baseman Vinny Castilla was supposed to hit in that spot, but he had been removed earlier for a pinch runner.

"I struck out on three straight fastballs," Painter said. "I had no chance. On the last pitch, I saw the ball leave Wohlers' hand, but by the time I swung, Javy Lopez (Atlanta's catcher) was standing up and saying, 'We won."'


'We won.'? That's what Javy Lopez said? Really, Lance?

Would you consider a good hitting pitcher someone who went 1-for-9 during that 1995 season or 10-for-65 (.154) in his career?

No comments:

Site Meter