12/07/2007

119 Days to Opening Day 2008

Opening Day 2008 for the Timber Rattlers is April 3. That is 119 days from today. This off-season, the countdown will be based on books. Each day between now and Opening Day 2008, I will pick a random book out of my library and excerpt a passage off the page number corresponding with the number of days remaining to the first pitch of the new season. I will try not to repeat a book during the countdown.

This week is Tom Clancy Week at Rattler Radio.

Today’s excerpt is from Without Remorse. This is the novel that gives the background of the mysterious Mr. Clark. The excerpt has little to do with Clark. Dr. Sam Baker has just performed surgery on Clark, known as Kelly at this time, and he is about to do what most doctors in the Clancy’s world do after a job well-done…take a quick nap.

“So who is he?”

“I don’t know all that much, but I ran into trouble on the Bay in my boat and he helped me out. We ended up staying at his place for the weekend.” Sam didn’t go any further. He didn’t really know that much, but he had inferred a lot, and that scared him very much indeed. He’d done his part. While he hadn’t saved Kelly’s life – luck and the firemen had probably done that – he had performed an exceedingly skillful procedure, though he had also annoyed the resident, Dr. Ann Pretlow, by not allowing her to do much of anything except watch. “I need a little sleep. I don’t have much scheduled for today. Can you do the follow up on Mrs. Baker?”

“Certainly.”

“Have someone wake me up in three hours,” Rosen said on the way to his office, where a nice comfortable couch awaited him.

Put today’s excerpt in a baseball context.

No comments:

Site Meter