8/10/2010

Getting the call

Tacoma Rainiers manager Daren Brown gets the call to lead Mariners
Sometime after 11 Sunday night, Daren Brown received a call to catch a plane to Seattle to become the Mariners' interim manager.

Forgive the 43-year-old if he doesn't remember the exact time of the call. After all, he had just finished watching his first-place Tacoma team lose 4-3 in Omaha, Neb., despite having hard-throwing right-hander Michael Pineda on the mound.

So while trying to process a Class AAA loss, Brown had to instead start sorting out his new position as Don Wakamatsu's replacement in Seattle.
...
"I've been here 10 years with the Mariners organization and I care deeply about the Mariners organization. They've been really good to me. Anything I can do and, hopefully, get us to continue to head in the right direction I'm more than happy to do it."

When asked if he looked at this opportunity as an audition for the permanent job, Brown said he's more of a "day-to-day guy."

"I tend to look at it as: I'm going to do the best job I can tonight, then worry about tomorrow," he said. "If it turns out to be that way at the end of the seven weeks, then that's what it was."

No comments:

Site Meter