8/08/2010

You can go home again.

Brett Dolan started his baseball announcing career in the Midwest League.  Now, he is with the Houston Astros.  The Astros had an off day in Milwaukee on Thursday.  So, like any normal person, he went back to where it all started.
“This is my 17th year in baseball, but I’ll always remember this place,” Dolan said. “For me, this is where it all started. I was involved in everything and I thoroughly enjoyed it.”

After graduating from the University of Iowa in 1992 and working as a sportscaster/news director in Platteville, Wis., Dolan accepted his first broadcasting position with the then-Beloit Brewers in 1994.

Dolan was still green, but he knew what he wanted to do. He just didn’t know how much of it he would have to do.

“I was as inexperienced as one could possibly be at that time,” Dolan said. “I came into the Brewers organization not really knowing what would happen or what the expectations might be. Then, we had the transition to the Snappers and that was something new for me. It seemed like everything came at once.”

Including a Midwest League championship during the 1995 season that Dolan still reminisces about with former players like Ronnie Belliard.

“Whenever I see Ronnie Belliard, we always talk about Beloit and how we dominated that year,” a smiling Dolan said. “It was a special memory for everyone involved on that team.”

He also recalls the night where Kelly Wunsch set a minor-league record by striking out five batters [in an inning] in 1994 while playing for the Beloit Brewers.

“Every year I call him and tell him, ‘Happy anniversary,’” Dolan said. “We still have fun with that.”
A closing quote that touches on the neverending story.
“I’m a little surprised that baseball is still here without a new stadium,” Dolan said. “When I was here, we had a hard time turning profits, but we still did. A lot of people have invested a lot of time in this organization over the years. You want to see them make it.”
Head over and read it all.

No comments:

Site Meter