12/02/2007

124 Days to Opening Day 2008

Opening Day 2008 for the Timber Rattlers is April 3. That is 124 days from today. This off-season, the countdown will be based on books. Each day between now and Opening Day 2008, I will pick a random book out of my library and excerpt a passage off the page number corresponding with the number of days remaining to the first pitch of the new season. I will try not to repeat a book during the countdown.

Today's excerpt is from The Big Show by Keith Olbermann and Dan Patrick. This book was published in 1997. About the last time it was actually possible to sit through SportsCenter without flipping away to check out reruns of Charmed.

The passage is a bit of advice on how to become a SportsCenter anchor...or to get a career in sports media. In the book, the way to tell which anchor wrote what was by different fonts. So, the Olbermann part below is in courier; the Patrick part is in arial.
You cannot start too early. I wanted to do this from the fifth grade on. So I took lot of writing classes in high school, then majored in communications at Cornell, but that was unnecessary; I could've majored in turf grass management and it wouldn't have made any difference as long as I spent seventy-five hours a week at our college radio station. That led me into an internship at a TV station in New York between my junior and senior years, and connections there got me a chance to have a tape listened to at that radio network. They liked it, they hired me, and then the job advancement happened pretty rapidly to a second network, a TV job at CNN, then spots in Boston and L.A. and then here to ESPN.

I think I knew by the time I was twelve that this was the way it was going to wind up. I was going to do what my father had always wanted to do. Be a sportscaster. So I did anything I could to stay in broadcasting even though I didn't become a full-time sportscaster until I was twenty-seven years old. Ours is an overnight success story -- if you consider 1967 to 1997 overnight. The gist of it is to get the experience before you get paid, whether at a school station or an internship or both.
Put today's excerpt into an baseball context.

No comments:

Site Meter