12/01/2007

125 Days to Opening Day 2008

Opening Day 2008 for the Timber Rattlers is April 3. That is 126 days from today. This off-season, the countdown will be based on books. Each day between now and Opening Day 2008, I will pick a random book out of my library and excerpt a passage off the page number corresponding with the number of days remaining to the first pitch of the new season. I will try not to repeat a book during the countdown.

Today's book is The Illearth War by Stephen R. Donaldson. This is book two of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.

In real time it has only been a few weeks, but 40 years have passed in The Land. Covenant has been brought back to confront another threat from Lord Foul.

This passage is Hile Troy, another person from the real world, asking a reluctant Covenant a lot of questions.
"Covenant," Troy continued as if he were still on the same subject, "I don't see why you aren't ecstatic about being here. How can the 'real' world be any more important than this?"

"It's the only world there is." Covenant climbed heavily to his feet. "Let's get out of here. This heat is making me giddy."

Moving slowly, they left the amphitheater. The air in Revelstone welcomed them back with its cool, dim pleasance, and Covenant breathed it deeply, trying to steady himself.

He wanted to get away from Troy, evade the questions he knew Troy would ask him. But the Warmark had a look of determination. After a few moments, he said, "Listen, Covenant. I'm trying to understand. Since the last time we talked, I've spent half my time trying. Somebody has got to have some idea what to expect from you. But, I don't see it. Back there, you're a leper. Isn't this better?"

Dully, answering briefly as possible, Covenant said, "It isn't real. I don't believe it."
Put today's excerpt into a baseball context.

No comments:

Site Meter