2/20/2008

Following the leader

The Kitsap Sun has this story on JJ Putz ('00). There may be registration required.

Putz More than the M's Closer

He's the king of the ninth inning and the master of the postgame shaving-cream pie.

J.J. Putz's value to the Seattle Mariners goes well beyond his status as the American League's best closer and a practical joker who leaves teammates looking both ways before they sit down.

He's the glue that holds the relief pitching staff together, having become a mentor to a group of young pitchers who comprise one of the most important facets of the team.

Don't just call Putz a closer. To them, he's their leader.

"J.J. took me under his wing when I got called up," right-hander Mark Lowe said. "He gave me the dos and don'ts of this game and I've taken every single one of them and used them for myself. You see a guy with the success that he's had, you're stupid not to take something from it."

No comments:

Site Meter