2/14/2008

49 Days to Opening Day


Opening Day 2008 for the Timber Rattlers is April 3. That is 49 days from today. This off-season, the countdown will be based on books. Each day between now and Opening Day 2008, I will pick a random book out of my library and excerpt a passage off the page number corresponding with the number of days remaining to the first pitch of the new season. I will try not to repeat a book during the countdown.

Today’s book is The Touch of Your Shadow, the Whisper of Your Name by Neal Barrett, Jr. This is a novel based on the series Babylon 5.

“G’Kar, you do not represent a significant power. You have no place here.”

“That is because you slaughtered my people.” G’Kar raised a fist. “I don’t know why I’ve let you continue to strut around here.”

“Allowed me?” Londo put a hand on the hilt of his sword. “I could crush you like a worm. Survival of the fittest, my friend.”

G’Kar yelled, “I am not your friend! No one is.”

Londo straightened, and then he smiled, his eyes two chunks of black ice. “You’re wrong, G’Kar. I do have friends. And they know you quite well.”

Captain Sheridan’s commanding voice brought all hostilities to a halt.


“I want everyone to stop this foolishness immediately! We’re here for more important things than schoolyard sniping! G’Kar is here because we’re having continuing violence between the Narn and the Centauri and it has to stop.” He indicated the two empty chairs at opposite ends of the table. “Gentlemen, if you will please sit down!”

Put today’s excerpt in a baseball context.

No comments:

Site Meter