2/26/2008

Kelley on Clement

Jeff Clement ('05) is the topic of Steve Kelley's column in the Seattle Times today.
That swing, a sweet, slight uppercut that ripples with power. That pop in his bat, as obvious as a knockout punch. That muscular left-handed cut that seems ideally tailored for Safeco Field.

Last September, after the playoff race had been lost and the Mariners were taking a sneak peek into their future, Jeff Clement stated his case.

In the second game of a doubleheader against Cleveland, he hit a tying, ninth-inning home run off Joe Borowski. The Mariners won that game in the 10th.

Two nights later, Clement's two-run, walkoff home run off Mike Wood beat the Texas Rangers.

In nine games and 16 at-bats, he hit .375, drove in three runs and because of his power and sense of the dramatic, Clement became the people's choice.

"To get an opportunity and to have some success, was great," said Clement before Monday's workout. "I'm not going to read too much into it, or too little into it. I was happy that when I got the opportunity, I did all right. It was a few at-bats and it went well. That's all."

Clement was muscle. He was drama. He was clutch. He was exciting.

A city that has been looking for the logical successor to Edgar Martinez at designated hitter thought it might have discovered him in Jeff Clement.

"Obviously I want to play in the big leagues," Clement, 24, said. "That's always been my goal from a very young age. That's all I'm shooting for and I'll let whatever happens, happen. There's not much more to say than that."

No comments:

Site Meter