3/06/2008

Aumont's debut

Phillippe Aumont, Seattle's #1 pick in 2007, pitched in a 'B' game against the San Diego Padres on Wednesday. Jim Street has the report:

The first 10 pitches Phillippe Aumont threw to professional hitters in a game situation were in the mid-90s with good movement, the kind of stuff that makes hitters gulp and general managers show off their Cheshire-cat smiles.

With family and friends from Gatineau, Quebec, and club executives watching, the Mariners' first-round Draft choice last June unveiled his powerful right arm Wednesday morning during a "B" game against the Padres.


Aumont, a potential Rattler, tossed one inning, struck out one, and allowed only an infield single.

Reactions?

"I was real smooth, felt good, could put my ball wherever I wanted and got ground balls," the 6-foot-7, 220-pounder said after retiring three of the four batters he faced -- one strikeout and two ground balls -- yielding an infield single. "That's my game. I'm not a big strikeout guy. I got one, and that's a plus, but I'm a ground-ball guy."

....

"He threw 93 to 95 with sink," [catcher Adam] Moore (WI, '06) said. "He has great stuff. His slider was really sharp, his sinker looked good and his four-seamer was really nice. But all he needed today was one pitch."

No comments:

Site Meter