12/08/2006

Missed this on Sandberg

There was a more in-depth story on Ryne Sandberg managing the Peoria Chiefs at PJStar.com on Wednesday and I missed it. Have I mentioned that Sandberg is going to be making his managerial debut against the Timber Rattlers at Fox Cities Stadium on Thursday, April 5? Well, he is.

Here is the story:

'Ryno' to take first step in Peoria

"I've been thinking for the past number of years how I can contribute to the game of baseball," Sandberg said during a media conference call from his home in Phoenix. "Up to this point, all that I can think about is just being in uniform and being with the players. This is the start of that. I've experienced that the last eight or nine years at spring training.

"I enjoy talking to the young players. I enjoy telling them about the different things I did to become a good baseball player and the things I did on a daily basis. It seemed like they were all ears. To see them go out and actually try some of the things and then report back, that's what I envision happening."
...
As word of Sandberg's hiring spread at the winter meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., Chiefs president Rocky Vonachen spent much of Tuesday receiving back-slaps from the baseball world.

"It's kind of the talk of the winter meetings," Vonachen said. "A lot of people have come up and asked me about it.

"All the other (Cubs) affiliates were looking at me like, 'How did you pull this off?' They wondered, 'Why not us?' I think they were pretty jealous."


April 5, 2007 is not that far away, folks.

No comments:

Site Meter