3/08/2008

Line of succession

The Tacoma News Tribune had this story on Bryan LaHair yesterday.

Sexson's successor? Time will tell
It seems nearly every day in spring training Bryan LaHair offers a glimpse of what he can be and what he still isn’t.

Thursday was no exception.

The Seattle Mariners’ first-base prospect had a strong first at-bat, working the count and then fighting off a nasty breaking ball from Milwaukee Brewers ace Ben Sheets with a sharp single to right.

In his next plate appearance, facing left-hander Zach Jackson, LaHair fell behind in the count, flailing at a curveball in the dirt for strike three.

Still, good at-bats have been more common than bad ones for LaHair, whose 1-for-2 performance pushed his average to .462 (6-for-13) with two doubles, four runs scored and three RBI.

Look to the future.

Sexson’s contract is ending, and there is a possibility the Mariners will not re-sign him or he will become a free agent. There is no other first baseman in the organization even close to being ready for the majors, and there are rumblings that Seattle could look to get a first baseman in free agency.

For LaHair to become a viable candidate for the job, he must cut down on his strikeouts (126 in 552 at-bats), find a way to hit left-handed pitching (.193 in 140 at-bats in 2007), hit breaking pitches more consistently and improve his power numbers in cavernous Cheney Stadium, a pitchers’ park like Safeco Field.

“I don’t like to get too far ahead of myself,” he said. “People tell me that I have a chance to be there soon, and I gotta tell myself to stay in the moment. Where I’m at is where I’m at, and I have to focus on that.”

No comments:

Site Meter