9/02/2008

Look who else got the call

The Seattle Times story on the September callups is disabled for some reason. But, there was another former Rattler getting moved up to the big leagues. Here is the link to the story on the Mariner website.
Right-handed pitcher Justin Thomas and second baseman Luis Valbuena were in uniform for the Mariners' series opener against the Rangers in Arlington, and five others, including third baseman Matt Tuiasosopo, are scheduled to arrive in time for Tuesday night's game.

Also at the link is a classic Daren Brown story. Here is how the former Rattler manager let Justin Thomas know he was headed to the majors.

"I wasn't expecting this," Thomas said. "I was called into [Tacoma manager Daren Brown's office on Saturday night] and he started talking about winter ball. I was supposed play in Venezuela. and he asked why I wanted to play there and I said I had heard the competition was better down there [than the Arizona Fall League]. There are a lot of Major League hitters there, so I thought it would be the best way for me to get ready for Spring Training."

Brown, who will manage the Peoria Javelinas in the AFL, kept the conversation going, before dropping a bombshell.

"He said, 'I know another place where you could face even better competition.' I knew he would be managing in the Arizona Fall League and thought that's what he was talking about, but then he mentioned Seattle and said I would be joining the team in Texas on Monday. I was just kind of stunned and shocked because I wasn't expecting it."


Classic Brownie.

No comments:

Site Meter