1/05/2009

A tough resolution

Travis Scott ('06) resolves to stay injury-free in '09.
Travis Scott is sure if he can just have a healthy new year, he’ll have a happy new year.

Scott, a 2003 Mason City Illini Central High School graduate who spent two years at Lincoln Land Community College, is a left-handed-hitting catcher in the Seattle Mariners organization. In 2008 he had his second solid season with the Mariners’ High Class A High Desert farm club of the California League, despite being hampered by health issues.

“The thing is, I’m still waiting on my first full, healthy breakout year,” said Scott, who hit .270 in 348 at-bats last season with 12 home runs and 60 runs batted in after batting .276 with 13 homers and 48 RBIs in 214 at-bats during 2007.

“I’ve had two full seasons now (at High Class A). One of them, this past year, was plagued by injury, and the year before I spent time as the backup catcher. I’m still looking forward to my first full year, and I think that’s really going to put me on the map, if I have a full, healthy year.”
After this happened in '08...here's hoping.
Scott got off to a great start last season, collecting 13 hits in his first 32 at-bats, including two home runs and a triple, for a .406 batting average with eight RBIs. But soon his season was slowed by injuries.

“I had great success, and there were trade rumors going on after the month of April because of how well I was playing,” he said. “And then I got hurt. I cracked a couple of ribs, pulled a groin. And it’s harder than you think coming back from playing every day to sustaining an injury and then picking up right where you left off.
Click on the link for the rest of the article.

No comments:

Site Meter